Monday, August 3, 2009

1. As soon as I opened the door to the apartment, I knew that my roommate had played party host all weekend long. Before even seeing the apartment after opening the door I could smell the foul odor of beer plus puke. There were beer bottles and cups in every crevice of our apartment. People who I had never seen before were passed out on the couch, and even some on the floor. There were unidentifiable puddles and stains on the carpet and kitchen floor. The refrigerator was emptied of its contents and left open. I knew that this was going to be a very long day of cleaning up the apartment. Time to go wake my roommate up so she can help.
Description
2. There are many ways that the university bookstore takes advantage of students. The items in the bookstore are, for the most part, priced outrageously high. A package of index cards that can be purchased at Wal-Mart for 15 cents cost a student over one dollar in the bookstore. The soft drinks and food that can be purchased in the bookstore are not worth the price they are selling them for. Textbooks that are purchased for over one hundred dollars may be sold back at the end of the semester for a fraction of the original cost of it, if you are lucky 15 percent. Convenience sets the stage for taking advantage of students. Many people will be okay with paying for convenience, especially if they do not have access to any other means of acquiring these items.
Illustration

3. I woke up later than I planned on this morning, at 8:35. I was supposed to meet my parents for breakfast by nine. I was left with no time to get ready. I went looking presentable but not as fixed up as I planned on being. I found out when I got there that I had to pay a fine by noon or suffer greater consequences. I in turn had to borrow the money from my parents, being as I did not have it. After paying my fine I was called into work on my day off. My plans for this evening just went out the window. When it was all said and done, I was just glad to call it a day.
Narration4. When I first met Fern, I knew immediately that she was a smoker. When we would walk to class she would lose her breath easily and cough quite often. When she smiled I noticed her teeth had a distinct yellow stain on them. Her clothes smelled like an ashtray that hadn’t been emptied in a week. Her furniture in her apartment had stains of spilled ashtrays and cigarette burns in them. How could anyone want this to be a way to describe themselves?
Description

5. My roommate has a very peculiar morning ritual. The first thing she has to do after waking up is making a pot of coffee. Next thing she does is check her email while her coffee is brewing. She then makes her bed and puts her clothes out that she is going to wear for the day. It is then time to hop in the shower, where she spends one hour. What is there to do for one hour in the shower? Finally it is time for her 45 minutes to get ready for the day. This is such a time consuming ritual for a college student.
Process

6. Attending USI has changed my life in many ways. First of all I have transitioned from a top dog senior to a low man on the totem pole freshman. I have realized what it feels like to be forced to study instead of just breezing by in a class without really trying. I have also gained great respect from my parents, being as they did not attend college. Being in college has made me focus more on my career and what I want to be doing with my life in five years. Finally it has given me the confidence that I can achieve anything I set my mind to.
Narration

No comments:

Post a Comment