Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Food

Food has been a way to comfort any emotions in my family. I have gotten accustomed to eating to relieve feelings that I may be experiencing. As I was growing up, my mother and I did not eat fast food except on special occasions. My mother started her own business when I was nine years old. From then on she was not available to cook for me anymore and I started to experience fast food. The concept of fast food was totally new to me. I thought it was exciting that at nine years old I could go to Hardee's and order something, give them some of my allowance and within almost seconds receive my food. I thought to myself why did my mother never do this for me before, it was so easy! From that moment on, I was addicted to the concept of fast food. Cooking food at home was times of the past. Why would you do something that took so long when you could go to fast food, not even get out of your car, and within no time at all have food for the whole family. My mother and father both have their own businesses now and they are almost never home. I was hooked to fast food for many many years. Fast food was the only thing I knew. Approximately five weeks ago, in an effort to save my money I decided not to eat fast food anymore. This change has had many pros and cons to it. I have had to get used to going to the grocery store. At first I would only get fast already prepared food that all I had to do was throw it in the microwave for a little bit. I am now transitioning into cooking my meals, which changes my grocery list dramatically. this change has also made my variety of food consumed greater. I am trying new foods and stepping out of my comfort zone from hamburgers and fries. In these past weeks, I do not crave fast food, I no longer smell the tempting smells of fast food as I am driving by, and I realize how much harder it is to prepare meals at home. Hopefully this experience in cooking at home will leave me more money and a healthier diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment